Depending on the installation method and your GitLab version, there are multiple update guides.
There are currently 3 official ways to install GitLab:
- Omnibus packages
- Source installation
- Docker installation
Based on your installation, choose a section below that fits your needs.
Table of Contents generated with DocToc
- Omnibus Packages
- Installation from source
- Installation using Docker
- Upgrading between editions
- The Omnibus update guide contains the steps needed to update an Omnibus GitLab package.
Installation from source
- Upgrading Community Edition from source - The individual upgrade guides are for those who have installed GitLab CE from source.
- Upgrading Enterprise Edition from source - The individual upgrade guides are for those who have installed GitLab EE from source.
- Patch versions guide includes the steps needed for a patch version, eg. 6.2.0 to 6.2.1, and apply to both Community and Enterprise Editions.
Installation using Docker
GitLab provides official Docker images for both Community and Enterprise editions. They are based on the Omnibus package and instructions on how to update them are in a separate document.
Upgrading between editions
GitLab comes in two flavors: Community Edition which is MIT licensed, and Enterprise Edition which builds on top of the Community Edition and includes extra features mainly aimed at organizations with more than 100 users.
Below you can find some guides to help you change editions easily.
Community to Enterprise Edition
Note: The following guides are for subscribers of the Enterprise Edition only.
If you wish to upgrade your GitLab installation from Community to Enterprise Edition, follow the guides below based on the installation method:
Source CE to EE update guides - Find your version, and follow the
-ce-to-ee.mdguide. The steps are very similar to a version upgrade: stop the server, get the code, update config files for the new functionality, install libraries and do migrations, update the init script, start the application and check its status.
- Omnibus CE to EE - Follow this guide to update your Omnibus GitLab Community Edition to the Enterprise Edition.
Enterprise to Community Edition
If you need to downgrade your Enterprise Edition installation back to Community Edition, you can follow this guide to make the process as smooth as possible.